Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Food?

I have noticed a lot of food on the blogs I watch recently. So I thought I would join in the fun. I made this soup Sunday and devoured a bowl last night. I'm thinking I should write it down in case I want to make it again.

I had a few leftover items from other meals, so they went into this soup in my effort not to be wasteful.

Jenn's Enchilada Soup
1 generous cup enchilada sauce (leftover item)
1 box chicken broth
1 can corn, drained
1 large can green chilis
14 oz crushed tomatoes (leftover item)
1 can tomatoes (I got Mexican stewed)
pinto beans covered in leftover enchilada sauce.(pinto beans were previous drained & rinsed)
1 can chili beans, un-drained (if I didn't have the pintos, I would use 2 cans of these)
Most of a roasted chicken
1 tsp cumin (taste and adjust as needed)
S&P to taste


I pulled apart the chicken meat with my hands (did you know I used to be vegetarian? Meaty fingers is kind of a big deal for me.) I left the chicken chunky and in long-ish pieces. (And do I need to even say - remove skin, as much slimy fat and any veins you run into.)  Mix all ingredients together in big pot on stove. My tomatoes were too big for my taste, so I broke them up. Heat... we didn't get to eat it until a day later. So, in that case, reheat. (I think leaving it to sit and blend favors was a great ...um... idea).
I served it with a generous drizzle of Mexican Crema (like a thin and not sour, sour cream) and pile of Queso Fresca crumbles. Then garnished with cilantro.  I served it along side a pile of Tostitos Scoops. It looked pretty.
Mmm, Soup!

I used the spoon to stir it all up and for the last two bites. Other than that, I ate it with the scoops. It was fun - like a bunch of minature bowls of soup. The occassional bite of cilantro was a fresh and tasty pop of flavor. I will use more "garnish" on my next bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment